Thursday, August 26, 2004

What happens on the ice...

Vancouver Canuck foward Todd Bertuzzi was in court today and pleaded "not guilty" to assault from an incident earlier this year where he punched Colorado Avalanche player Steve Moore. Good plea. He made the right one. The punch was obviously not assault. He simply sucker punched another player during a hockey game. That isn't assault. If he had done the same thing later, on the street, well then that would be assault. (And yes, I am serious.) What happens on the ice, stays on the ice.

3 Comments:

At August 26, 2004 8:22 PM, Blogger Janet said...

Now I know boys will be boys, but I am a mother and I wouldn't agree with my child "sucker punching" anyone on or off the ice (unless of course the other kid says I wear army boots, then go ahead...cream him!)

 
At August 27, 2004 3:00 PM, Blogger Daryl said...

I agree. Not [intentional] assult... But also not within the rules of the game. If Moore had died from his injuries would it still be an acceptable risk? Where exactly IS the line that cannot be crossed?

 
At September 01, 2004 11:57 PM, Blogger Pablo said...

I don't know if anyone made reference to army boots exactly... but Bertuzzi's sucker-punch on Moore was payback for when Moore injured Markus Nasland (one of the top players in the NHL) in a previous game. That was the reason that Moore got punched. And I don't know where the line is, but if you can't punch someone out for injuring your team's best player, then what is the sport of hockey coming to? :-) Moore's injuries resulted from the way that he landed awkwardly on the ice (with about three people on top of him.) Sure if Bertuzzi hadn't punched him, he wouldn't have fallen. But if Moore hadn't hurt Nasland, he wouldn't have been punched. I don't know where the line is, but I do know that this is a hockey issue. It has nothing to do with a court of law.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home