Monday, July 08, 2002

I was hoping to return to Spiritfest to see the Los Lobos on Sunday night, but unfortunately I couldn't make it. Anyway, I noticed a few things from being there on Saturday, and I thought I'd write them here:

1. There are lots (and I mean LOTS) of ugly people. Sometimes as we sat on the side of the street, I just had to start laughing to myself, because I just couldn't believe how many ugly people were walking by. It was totally incredible. I don't know when the last time is that I've seen so many ugly people in one place at one time. Not just "average" ugly. (I mean, I'd probably fall into that category myself.) No, I mean serious "window shattering" ugly.

2. There were tons of cops there. I have no idea why that is. Were they expecting something or what? I didn't see any "trouble" whatsoever, yet there were about 47 million police officers there. Guess that was part of a "make work" project or something.

3. It's very funny (to me) that all the little punk-ass boys think they're being all macho and rebellious. They dress weird and think they're so unique, yet every single one of them looks and acts exactly the same as each other. So really, they aren't being "different". They're just all being the same as each other, like a bunch of little copy cat wannabees. Very funny.

4. Why do all the guys that have incredibly skinny arms, wear muscle shirts? If I had arms that puny, I'd be embarrassed to wear a muscle shirt. I'd wear a baggy sweater so that nobody could see my skinny arms.

5. Speaking of sweaters, it was hot outside, about 28 degrees or so, and there were actually people wearing "hoodies" (ie: a kangaroo jacket.) What's up with that? Some were even wearing the hoods too. That kills me! Maybe these were people who were actually taking my advice and hiding their skinny little arms, but otherwise I don't get why you'd wear a hoodie when it's 28 degrees outside.

6. People who wear their shades, after it gets dark outside, are pretty cool.

7. Store owners are stupid. When I was in Montreal (during the F1 race), they have these big street parties there too. The stores will stay open until after midnight, because they know that there are literally thousands of potential customers who are walking by, so they hope to get some of that business into their store. In Winnipeg, every single store along Portage Avenue was closed. What a wasted opportunity for them.

8. The event organizers hired what looked like a couple of local winos, who were supposed to get the crowd dancing. But it didn't work at all. No-one else danced, except for these two old geezers, and they weren't good dancers either. Basically they just pranced around and made asses of themselves, which was greatly distracting from the actual feature shows. Dumb move. If they wanted people to dance, all they had to do is hire a couple of cute go-go dancer type chicks to entice all the guys onto the dance area. I guarantee that would have been much more effective.

9. The crowd wasn't bad, but they didn't seem very lively. Maybe there should have been more beer available. That way the police would have had more to do too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home